Friday, September 20, 2013

Joining Fall for Cotton challenge...

While trying to discover my purpose in life in this adult world my
mother has introduced me to the world of seam-rippers, needles, and irons known as sewing.

For my new hobby I am entering the "Fall for Cotton" challenge that my mother has found. (And also entering, btw.)

This sewing challenge is to make a vintage item using 100% cotton fabric only, great considering it's the only fabric I am comfortable using right now anyways. ;)

The pattern I picked is a "Simplicity Archives" pattern that combined two patterns from the 50's. This is an apron pattern.  After completing the apron I had wished I had chosen a more difficult task but at least I do know this is completed well. And as you can see Markie approved of the pattern and fabric choice as well.  :)

The fabrics I picked were a navy and white striped and red and white polka dots from Hancocks. My reasons for these fabrics were simple, I wanted my apron to scream America, or as I like to call it, 'Merica. :)

I have completed my pattern review for the Simplicity 2592 at This was my second pattern I reviewed on this website and I have to say I am getting quite addicted to sewing.

This pattern was fairly easy even for a beginner seamstress like myself.  While cutting out the pattern pieces I did add about 3-4 inches to top piece to acco- mmodate my larger than normal breast.  After all pieces cut in the appropriate fabric for my design I got to reading. My first sewing step was sewing 1/4th inch wide double fold bias tape on each of the three skirt pieces as well as the top pieces. Let me just tell you, this is my nightmare.  From the few projects I have done I have learned a hatred for sewing bias tape, and this is the smallest I have worked with yet. I complained during the whole entire process ( I am sure my mother loved that) but I must say after I completed it I am so happy I did it, it gave such a completed look to the pieces that could have only been created with the gosh awful bias tape. For my next step it was an add in, a change to pattern of sorts. I took both my fabrics and made the tie pieces with each, I then sewed them together to give the tie a more completed look. It wasn't an extremely difficult step I added but I think it made the world of difference on my completed project. It took it from good to great, and I wanted that added detail since I picked such a simple accessory. The last thing I had to do was add all the pieces together, and after completing these simple steps I am very happy with my finished project. It turned out better than I expected.

My last steps are finishing a vintage headpiece I wanted to make for my pictures and then of course I have to take the picture of me modeling my vintage apron, which I have a special surprise with that. :)

Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment